What is a Mass Notification System for Schools?
A school notification app is an indispensable tool for schools of all levels. Such systems allow school faculty or administrators to communicate with all parents, students, and/or staff simultaneously.
These apps allow messages to go out to a sender’s entire contact list within seconds. An SMS service for schools is superior to a traditional phone tree, as there are no opportunities for the message to get distorted and everyone gets the message from the same authoritative voice.
For schools, this kind of quick and clear communication can be vital to an informed and engaged student body and support system. Bulk SMS software for schools benefits everyone involved.
A mass notification system for schools can be used to keep students safe during an emergency, inform parents of a closed road before pickup time, remind teachers of a casual Friday, or even notify football players of a change in the practice schedule.
One of the most useful parts of a mass notification system for schools is that messages can be sent directly to your audience’s phones. Communicating directly with your audience in the way that best suits their needs — whether via text message, phone call, or email—is the best way to avoid miscommunications.
Overall, a school notification app is a tool, and a means to an end.
The end goal isn’t that parents, students, faculty, and staff are receiving texts or phone calls or emails. The end goal is that your school community is safe, happy, informed, and learning.
Using a school notification app can make sure that that’s happening without adding to the sometimes overwhelming existing workload of administrators and teachers. Sending out mass messages saves time, effort, and worry.
The same service that can send out messages can also receive and compile them, allowing for a two-way communication stream that keeps administrators aware of the needs and concerns of the students and faculty they serve. A school messaging system app is just as beneficial for administrators and teachers as it is for students and parents.
Mass Text Messaging for Schools
SMS text messaging for schools is the most recent in a long line of school communication methods. But a mass texting service for schools isn’t likely to be a passing fad; such systems can be instrumental in a school’s communication plan.
There are three primary benefits of using a school text service for mass school communication. These include:
- Familiarity. Most of the US population not only has a cell phone, but is comfortable using one to send and receive text messages. Both adults and kids alike have no problem reading, saving, and even responding to this type of communication.
- Flexibility. Text messages don’t have to be read immediately to be effective. They don’t require the recipient to be in a quiet place to answer, and they can take many different forms and include several different types of media. SMS software for schools can be useful in a wide range of situations, from sending out summer reading lists to notifying parents of a school shooter.
- Brevity. SMS messages allow for only a limited number of characters. While some may see this as limiting what they can communicate, others see it as an opportunity to pare down words until only the most important information is left. This makes key points easy to grasp for recipients getting their information from a school messaging system.
Recipients can also save, forward, or otherwise share text messages with others. If you want news to spread fast, SMS messages can be just the way to ensure that it does.
But while text messages certainly have their place in a school notification app, they aren’t the only way to convey information.
Different people learn best in different ways, and sending information in a variety of formats ensures that these different learning styles are utilized to help these messages be retained and understood.
Voice broadcasts and emails are often the better choice for a school notification system, though other times the different types of messages can be used together for optimum engagement.
Automated Calling System for Schools
A school notification app is also incomplete without a voice broadcasting option.
Automated calling systems for schools allow each recipient to get a message in the form of a phone call. They hear the audio of the message instead of seeing the text like they would from an SMS message.
There are three main benefits to using voice calls for a school notification system:
- Authority. In times of stress or when important information is conveyed, it can be helpful or comforting to hear such information from a familiar voice of authority. This is much easier to accomplish over a voice call than over text message. Someone already known by all recipients, such as the principal or the head of the PTSA, can share news and set listeners at ease at the same time.
- Length. While text messages have a character limit and are ideal for short messages, phone calls only have a time limit. In general, this allows for more information to be shared via voice than via text, though senders must still be selective in what is included. Voice calls allow the sender to share more, but not to share with no end.
- Simplicity. Even more people are familiar with the process of answering a phone call than are familiar with texting. It is easy to answer a phone or to listen to your voicemail. When sending voice broadcasts, you likely don’t need to worry about a learning curve or about recipients simply not seeing the message.
Phone calls can also be paired with text messages to share important information.
In this way, whether a recipient remembers auditory or visual information better, they have a good shot of retaining the information in the message. They can listen to a voice of authority, but still forward the text message to a friend.
Sending School SMS and Calls Through Email
Email is also a popular way to communicate for schools.
One benefit of email is that you can send anything sent in a text message or voice call in an email format at the same time. This email can serve as a backup if a phone number isn’t working or cell service is down.
However, there are also benefits to emails as their own communication format. These include:
- Length. Emails are the longest form of mass message provided by DialMyCalls. They can include a nearly unlimited amount of text, or a long list of different attachment types. Video, pictures, PDFs, Excel sheets, and links can all be sent via email with relative ease.
- Relaxed Timeline. Information sent via email is less likely to be seen immediately. For less vital matters, email can allow the recipient to take their time reading the message when they have a spare, uninterrupted moment.
- Unhindered Responses. When you need to collect information in return from your audience, email can also help. While recipients can usually reply to a text message or call a phone number, emails allow for longer form responses. Whether you want feedback on the new athletic fields or to discuss a child’s grades, emails can allow an audience member to express themself completely.
Again, emails can also be sent alongside texts and voice calls simply to engage any audience members who prefer that particular method. SMS messages can also instruct readers to refer to an email for more information, or calls can say to reply to an email with your order or answer.
Regardless of which combination of messages you choose, you can rest assured knowing that your recipients will receive your message in a matter of seconds. You can send text messages, voice calls, or emails from the DialMyCalls school notification app.