How to Send a Text to Multiple Contacts Without a Group Message
If you’re like most people, you’ve been in a situation before where you’ve needed to send a mass text, but wanted to avoid a group message. Maybe it’s simply because you’ve been on the receiving end of group messages one too many times, and grown weary of fielding more notifications than you know what to deal with. For a lot of people this can even lead to missing out on messages because they end up turning their notifications off, or not reading their text messages at all.
Whatever the case is for you, you should know that you have options! Maybe you never realized it before, but it’s definitely not necessary to resort to spam-like group texts or repetitive messaging. Now more than ever, when it comes to messaging multiple contacts, there are several routes you can take. Here are some ways you can send mass text messages without creating a group message.
Why Send a Text to Multiple Contacts Without Starting a Group Message
Of course, to get started, there are several reasons why someone might want to know how to send texts to multiple contacts without group messages. Maybe it’s to keep from bombarding people with notifications, to avoid sharing contact info without people’s consent, or to forgo sending the same text over and over again. Or maybe when it comes to making plans, you might just want to find a way to send a large amount of information, but without running into technical issues and overwhelm.
So beyond this, why is skirting a regular group message often a good idea?
- Contact limitations. Typically, group text messages have a maximum number of people you can get in touch with. This isn’t the case with other methods and messaging apps. Lower messaging volume. When it comes to sending texts from your iPhone or Android, you don’t get very much messaging volume, or “throughput.” You’re limited by the characters allowed by either SMS or MMS messaging.
- The problem of “reply all.” An unfortunately common problem is that Android phones and iPhones don’t offer BCC texts, nor do they allow you to send texts without “reply all” being the default setting. So you just might have your event plans hijacked with well-meaning but random comments and GIFs ultimately cluttering your message.
- Everyone sees every response. Because reply-all is the only option, each person who’s part of the group message will receive every response. And this can be an even bigger problem for your contacts, because…
- There’s no way to opt out. People who are on your messaging thread don’t get the choice to keep future messages from being sent to the same group, even if they’re getting overwhelmed by notifications and updates.
How to Turn Off Group Messaging: Android
Let’s say you’ve been experiencing these issues that come with group messages, and want to change your phone settings to avoid them. The good news is that you can definitely turn off group messaging and still send text messages to multiple contacts. Here are the steps to turning off group messaging on your Android phone:
- Open your Messaging app.
- From there, navigate to Settings by tapping the three vertical dots in the corner of the screen.
- Go to Multimedia (MMS) Messages.
- There, you can either check or uncheck the option for Group Messaging.
This is a really straightforward way to answer the question of how to send a text to multiple contacts without a group message. It basically makes it your default mode to send a mass text individually, which not only makes things easier for the people you want to contact, but also greatly eases the messaging process for you.
Sending Default SMS Messages
If you’re still figuring out how to regularly send a mass text vs a group text with an Android, and not have to revert back to the typical group chat, you should know how to change your default SMS settings. This generally means switching from Hangouts to another messaging app. That way you can more easily set up your messages to go to multiple contacts without using group messaging.
To make this change:
- Open the Hangouts app.
- Tap Settings in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- From there, select SMS Enabled. (If you can’t find the listing for Default SMS, tap More.)
- Once you see it, select Default SMS app.
- Choose the SMS app you want from the list.
This way, you’ll be more in control of how you send and receive messages, and capable of sending mass text messages individually the way you want to.
How to Send Group Messages Individually on iPhone
If you have an iPhone instead of an Android, there’s an easy solution to the problems of group messaging. If you want to know how to send a mass text without a group, here are some quick steps you can take to get started:
- First, navigate to your Settings.
- Scroll to find the Messages app, then navigate to Group Messaging.
- There should be a toggle there that you can switch from “on” to “off.” Hit the toggle.
Turning off this setting means that all of your messages will, by default, be sent individually to recipients, even if you draft your message to go to multiple contacts. It’s another easy way to figure out how to send texts to multiple contacts without group messages.
Turning Off iMessage and MMS
If you want to do more to simplify this process of how to send texts to multiple contacts on iPhone, you can disable MMS messaging. Once you turn off MMS messaging, the Group Messaging toggle will disappear from your list of options. In turn, this means that you’ll be able to set up messages to go to multiple contacts without creating a messy group message. It’s one of the easiest ways to make the switch!
How to Send a Text to Multiple Contacts Without a Group Message on Whatsapp
WhatsApp is a widely-used messaging app that has several capabilities, including end-to-end encryption in text conversations, as well as group messaging. What you might not know is that you can use WhatsApp to send mass texts without resorting to group messaging. This can be a breath of fresh air both to you and to your contacts.
It’s much more simple and straightforward to do this with WhatsApp than with the typical messaging apps, too. The way you can do this is through a feature called Broadcast. You can send a broadcast text message with Android phones or iPhones using this feature.
Using the Broadcast Feature
To use the Broadcast feature on WhatsApp, you need to start by creating a Broadcast list. If you want to do this, the steps to getting started will vary based on what kind of phone you have.
Here’s how you can use it if you have an Android phone:
- Open WhatsApp, and navigate to Chats.
- Tap the three vertical dots at the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select “Choose New Broadcast.” After that, select all of the contacts that you want to receive your message.
- When you’re finished, tap the green tick mark on the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Now your list is ready for your message!
If you have an iPhone, on the other hand, here is how you can use the Broadcast feature:
- Open WhatsApp, and navigate to Chats.
- Select the option for “Broadcast Lists” at the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Tap the new list, and then select the contacts you want to send your message to using the checkbox next to their names.
- When you’re finished with that step, the list is ready for your message.
As you can see, Broadcast is an easy-to-use option for sending texts to multiple contacts. So if you’re wondering, for instance, how to send 100 messages at once to several people in a simple way, and without creating a cumbersome group message, this is a good place to start. That said, when you want to do this with an app that has even more capabilities, it’s definitely worth your time to look into DialMyCalls.
Send Mass Text Messages for Your Business with DialMyCalls
Like WhatsApp, DialMyCalls has a Broadcast option. But it also has versatility in several areas when it comes to getting your messages sent. With DialMyCalls, you can broadcast text messages, voice calls, and email messages. And when it comes to how to send texts to multiple contacts without group messages, you have far more options than the typical messaging app could ever offer.
Using DialMyCalls to send a text broadcast means you can automate and schedule messages, organize your contacts more specifically, and even give people the chance to opt out if they want. And you can use DialMyCalls from a web browser, which means your messages will be concise and accurate. Be sure to get in touch to learn more about how to send texts to multiple contacts through DialMyCalls by signing up for a free trial today.